LETTER FROM RYAN #24 09.01.14.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

This week we had zone conference and it was super fun! It’s always fun to see Americans. President (name) showed us the numbers or indicators of the mission before and after the typhoon hit. He said that our indicators have never been higher in Legaspi (where the typhoon hit) in mission history.

Monday around 5 o’clock, we still had the curfew so were just planning to go buy some food and come back and study. I saw these guys playing chess on the side of the road at this shop.  I stopped and talked to them and they asked me if I wanted to play? I said “OF COURSE I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY”! So this guy was pretty good and he was pulling all these cheap rule moves and he was getting pretty close to beating me. I then took his queen and he was so depressed. After that... he couldn’t believe that I was an American playing chess with him also speaking tagaglog.  Soon, about 40 people came over to watch us play and it was getting pretty intense. He soon forfeited and I won.  I WAS LIKE, OH YEAH!

I decided to drop an old investigator of ours that we have been teaching for a while who lives 20 yards from the church. He would give us excuses why he never came to church. He said he believed everything but could not leave his church. So after months of teaching him and him not coming to church, I was fed up and decided to drop him from our teaching pool.  So this morning we were planning how to tell him that we were not coming back as I lost faith in him. However, as I thought about it didn’t feel right.  As I walked up to his door the spirit impressed me to “Not GIVE UP ON HIM AND DONT DROP HIM”. We walked in the room and asked him if he read the Book of Mormon he said “Yes”! He then asked us about death and is there a way we can help dead? We said “Yes”. We began talking about Temples and Temple work.  After the discussion he thanked us and said, “Thank you so much, it is so clear now”. It was such a super humbling experience. It taught me that Heavenly Father will never give up on his children.  Although it is a challenge at times, we must have patience!

It was a good week we have transfer announcements this Saturday. This was the last week of training for my comp so we will see what happens.

Love, Elder Hernandez

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© Ryan in the Philippines All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger