LETTER FROM RYAN #13 05.18.14

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

HEY Everyone! What’s going on?
Another week down and time is going by so fast. It was so awesome to see you guys last week in our Skype session. This week was a successful week. I can’t believe that I am almost done with my training. 

Something so cool happened this week. As we were tracing, we knocked on this one door, and a lady came out and let us in. She spoke English to us. I WAS LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY I CAN UNDERSTAND SOMEONE! We then taught her in ENGLISH! Probably the greatest thing ever! It’s so hard to teach her because her husband is never there. One of the challenges we are facing is that it’s a very traditional society.  The fathers wake up super early go, to work,  like at 6  in the morning, then don’t get back home until  7 or 8 then they go to bed  at 8:30 at night. Therefore when we go tracing, and the "nanay" or wife lets us in we ask is there a man here. They always say he is working, or he left. We then ask when we can come back sometime and they say that he works in Manila. It’s not that uncommon for the father to work in another city because that is where the work is. We are trying to think of ways to combat this whole situation.

I feel the branch is finally coming together and uniting. We’ve been trying to strengthen and serve them as much as possible. Next week we are having a one day mission for the entire branch. We are giving Book of Mormons and pamphlets to everyone and then they are going tracing with us for two hours! The English class is really helping. When people see us, they say, “I want to learn English”, and then we say we have a free English class at our church! All you have to do is come. The language is slowly coming. I’m trying to forget English; it’s kind of detrimental to the whole cause. Especially because now that we have 4 elders at the apartment and they speak to each other in Tagalog.  So I’m trying super hard to study and to speak as much as I can. I feel bad for Elder Andrada, because during lessons, I know what we are teaching about but I have no idea what they are talking about.  Then all of sudden, he looks at me like (okay it’s your turn to talk now) in my brain I think you crazy man! Elder Andrada says my Tagalog has really improved, which it totally has. When I read in Tagalog I can understand and comprehend.

Time is moving so fast. One of the people we have been teaching is Jonel.  He is 17 years old and was basically given to us to teach.  His best friend in the branch just left on a mission and ever since then we have been teaching him. He is super awesome. He loves reading the book of Mormon.

I love you guys so much keep on praying for me!

Yours truly,
Elder Hernandez


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© Ryan in the Philippines All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger