LETTER FROM RYAN #15 06.02.14.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

WHAT AN AWESOME WEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!
So many awesome things happened! First, THE PACKAGE CAME! I don’t think goldfish have ever tasted so good in my entire life... seriously... and I think I got Elder Andrada addicted to Chex mix... and all the missionaries in the apartment are so jealous of the music.  IT’S SO AWESOME! The BOOK of Mormon is so SICK! It honestly is so different, although it’s the same words you are literally so focused on the story. I brought it to church and all of the members were looking at it like, “what the freak is this”? Because all of their Book of Mormons are just the normal Book of Mormons that the missionaries gave them when they were taught. Yes Mom, I put the sign up right by my desk and they loved the vials. When I gave them to the branch president, he looked at me like (I don’t know really how to describe)  but it was like he was a little kid at Christmas.  He loved them so much.
 
Seriously, I can’t believe it’s June. That means I am at the 4 month mark. HOLY SMOKES! Transfers are coming up soon, so it’s getting kind of scary because I love this area. So we'll see.
 
This week was so awesome. Jonel is such a STUD!!!!!!!! During class on Sunday I sat next to him, and when I grabbed my scriptures, I turned to D@C and he said “there is more”? and he said later... well l want to read it all haha. He is so excited to get baptized.  On Sunday we had a plan to visit a less active member of the branch because we have been teaching his daughters too. He lives next door to the branch president.  We were going to ask if president could join us… so when we went over.  There was JONEL and our less active! Ha-ha I guess they just go over there and chill on Sundays and talk about the church super sick. I am going to try to put this in perspective for you.. The Branch President's family, the Ramada's, love missionary work like none other. Like Texans like their high school football. So every time we teach Jonel we teach him at the Ramada's house because he is like their son.  The family honestly teaches more than we do. 1) This is a 10000000 times more effective 2) it helps because I don’t know Bicol ha-ha but it’s really cool how the branch is really taking him in like a brother.
 
A different experience was super humbling. We have been working with a different less active and we have been getting him ready to go to the temple to be sealed to his family. We have been going through the interview questions and then teaching a lesson based on the question. so last week we came to tithing. Probably the biggest wakeup call ever in my life. First off he is super poor, no electricity poor, where we bring our own flash light to the lesson, and I don’t think he has a job but still goes to church. Here we are teaching and during the lesson I taught the promised blessings from tithing. After that he said “Elder that’s so true I know I need to go to church and pay tithing”. “But what if I don’t have a job, then what”?  In my heart I wanted to say... “It’s okay you don’t have to pay tithing”. “Here is money for food, and a new house and stuff”.  I wanted to give him everything. But it’s God's commandment. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much faith ever in my life. But it really opened my eyes because my entire life I paid tithing, and I always heard these stories like "I got a check in the mail" you know those tithing stories. My entire life I was thinking “where is my check in the mail”. I always paid tithing. But man I didn’t realize the blessings I truly had. I have parents who never had to worry that if they paid tithing that they wouldn’t have enough money to feed their kids, clothes, and other things. Truly one of the most humbling experiences in my entire life.  Love, Elder Hernandez
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© Ryan in the Philippines All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger